Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The picking of the Tree

I have been trying to get updated on my blog here. Some of the post are out of order, but I tend to be a bit scatter brained and so it's only natural that my blog reflect that. We actually went several weeks ago to cut down our tree. Hahaaa! What a funny time. When we lived in Michigan we started going with Dave's family and cutting down a Christmas tree. It became one of the highlights of the year for me. It was such a fun family tradition. Well we moved several different places after we left Michigan and there wasn't any tree farms by us so we would just go to the nearest Christmas tree lot and pick out a tree. Last year, our first Christmas here in the Great State of Texas, we found several tree farms nearby. We were so excited since this would be the first time Taylor and Hunter would help chop the tree down. Lets just say they grow interesting Christmas trees down here. Really they look like overgrown bushes that they have formed into trees. There are long, strange branches that randomly poke out. We eventually found one that we thought would work. It actually was quite pretty. What we didn't realize is that it was HUGE! We had to put it upstairs because the ceiling is taller up there. This year I was determined to find a tree farm that grew "NORMAL" Christmas trees. You know the Douglas Firs, the Noble Firs, etc. I did find a place that grew the "Texas" style trees, but they did have some pre-cut trees. So even though we didn't get to actually cut it down, we did get to enjoy the tractor ride and had a couple of good laughs at the trees you could cut down. There was a family on the ride with us who were looking for the most Charlie Brown tree they could find. Well there was plenty to choose from and they found it! While we were waiting for them to cut our tree loose from the wire, we enjoyed some WONDERFUL apple cider. I think it's the best I've ever had. Of course Amber had a great time because the boy helping us looked a little bit like Edward Cullen. She kept trying to get me to take his picture. I tried to get one of him without him knowing it. I didn't do a very good job. I'm sure I wouldn't make a good spy. But I did get a tree that I liked. So all is well. Next year will be the year I find a normal Christmas tree farm. My search is on! Oh Christmas tree....Oh Christmas tree.....



Some fun pictures of last years tree hunt


Wondering what kind of trees are these?! Finally finding one. Note how tall it is...it was HUGE!!

















This year's Christmas tree hunting. Check out some of those trees! Amber really wanted the dead one.

1 comment:

Carrie Dixon said...

How much fun! those trees are seriously strange. They look under nurished. How much fun though!