Thursday, January 22, 2009

A day to remember


Tuesday morning will be one of those days that I will always remember. I have been thinking about it and talking with friends about it for the last couple of days. It was such a historic moment in time and I'm so grateful for the technology that allowed us to feel like we were right there. As I sat watching the build up, I was bummed because my kids would be at school and I wanted them to watch this. How GREAT a country that we live in where, (I know they have overused this phrase, but it is so important and true) "the peaceful turn over" from one president to another. No war, or coup to make changes. No violence, but a voting and then a coming together to pass the baton from the old to the new. Jake had an ortho appt. before the actual events started and when I went to pick him up, the front office told me that the whole student body would be watching it. Thank goodness Jakes appt was short and he was back in time. The high school and the elementary school also were able to watch it. I was thrilled to know that my kids were able to see this part of history take place. When they panned the crowd and all the flags were waving at one time it brought tears to my eyes. (I always feel such a swell of pride when I see the flag.) I thought DANG! I wished I would have packed the kids up and driven there to be part of it. The feel to me was electric and what an experience that would have been. I didn't vote for Obama. I don't agree with some of the things he stands for. I'm concerned about some of those things and hope that with a lot of prayer, knowing that things will still have to be voted on and ultimately knowing WHO is in charge of EVERYTHING things will be ok. After watching Obama take the oath and hearing his speech, I felt optimist. I'm excited to see what lies ahead and I want him to succeed, because if he does than we do.

Some things that I thought of when watching the ceremony.

1. I'm grateful to live in THIS country.
2. Even though it would have been WAY cool to be there, I'm glad I'm nice and toasty in my house.
3. Dang! Thats a lot of people.
4. Look how cool all those flags look waving.
5. I don't care for Diane Fienstien.
6. WOW! I'm sure GRATEFUL for the way I was taught to pray.
7. Bill Clinton looks old.
8. What is George Sr. wearing on his head?
9. Wait what is Aretha wearing on HER head?
10.The little Obama girls are cute.
11.I am NOT into poetry.
12.Oh that poor guy fumbling the lines of the Oath, he is going to be fodder for the late night shows.
13.That was a good speech and Obama is a good speaker.
14.I like how Obama said "God bless the "United States of America" and not just "God bless America"
15.Again, I am SO EXTREMELY grateful for the way I was taught to pray!!

4 comments:

Carrie Dixon said...

AMEN to your number 15 thought!!!

Wharton Family said...

Amen sister! I was totally glued to the t.v. I had many of the same feelings during the whole event. Jeremy's class watched all day but Emily's didn't get to see any of it. Glad we have dvr. Both kids made comments about the prayers. At one point I started to wonder if they forgot they were praying. We are truly blessed to live in this country!

The Texas Links said...

I thought the EXACT same things while watching--especially--WHAT is George Sr. have on his head? Hilarious! I also felt energized and excited even though he's not the guy I wanted for Pres. (I didn't really like anyone-but Republican would've been nice) But, after the inauguration, I did feel inspired and hopeful. Maybe it'll all be O.K. and maybe he'll surprise us.

kerri said...

Ditto!!