Monday, April 13, 2009

Does going to a Crawfish boil make us true Texans?

A week ago Friday we were invited to our first EVER Crawfish boil at our friends the Gilberts. I had never been to one and wasn't quite sure what to expect. What I remember about crawfish is a distant memory of being a little girl in Georgia, playing in the creek and seeing Crawfish, but we didn't eat them. And then last summer after some heavy rain we went to the pool and there were some in the pool. Don't know why they were in there, but it totally freaked us out. Anyway those are my two experiences with crawfish. Well we got to the Gilberts and they were already a boilin'! They had tons of them. (They look like little lobsters.) Two huge coolers full and the majority of them were still alive. The kids had a blast picking them up and playing with them. Of course they were VERY careful not to let the pincher's get them. I was definitely curious about this whole thing and felt very much like a tourist. I had to have someone show me how to eat them. You tear them in two and then you are suppose to suck the juice and stuff out of the bigger end and then pinch the tail part and suck out the meat. UM....YUCK!! I was NOT about to suck the juicy gut stuff out or suck out the meat part. I was too afraid there was going to be a poop vain like in shrimp so I painstakingly peeled the little tails to get to the crumb of meat that was in there. I will say that my Taylor was VERY brave and sucked out the juicy gut stuff! Hunter didn't feel the need to eat any of it and Jake and Amber were elsewhere that night. Honestly, they were REALLY tasty, but a lot of work for a teeny, tiny bit of meat. Thank goodness there were new potatoes and corn (that was super spicy, I thought my lips were going to fall off) because you would have to have eaten an entire cooler of them in order to get full. It was a SUPER fun night! The kids played in the canoe in the front yard pond, we had a bonfire and had hot, delicious, smores and visited with some great friends. It was a GREAT evening and now I know how to eat a crawfish! Does this officially make me a Texan?


hanging out in the cooler waiting their turn to boil


getting cooked


Bro. Boyles showing me how to eat them


Hunter with his new pet


Taylor was MUCH braver than me. She actually sucked all the juicy stuff out.....YUCK!


YUMMY!!


Dave had NO problem digging right in.


Hunter and Ben canoeing around the pond.


The aftermath!

5 comments:

kerri said...

I am sorry... YUK! I am glad you had fun! How nice that we have neat friends to share these things with!
Way to go! I am glad you posted the picture of you eating one, I didn't believe it. I couldn't even see you putting it anywhere near your mouth!
My vote... YOU ARE A TEXAN!!

Sariah said...

Uh, yeah. That first picture looks like a bunch of cockroaches! The second looks more like what they are supposed to be!
You are all brave! I'm not sure I would have done it! How nice of the Gilbert's to initiate you into TEXAS greatness!

Wright said...

you know how the girls make that gutteral "bleh" sound when something is gross? Well....

Carrie Dixon said...

Looks like Fun!!! Although I am with you on not eating or "sucking" out the insides....yuck!!

eva said...

well, you didn't eat any of them the "right" way so I don't know if you're officially Texan yet...maybe you're just a Tex...you'll get the "an" next time. We were invited out our first boil on Friday but I didn't get to go. Don and the kids went and said it was really good. I guess I'm not a true Texan either. Party on Wayne!